- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped onions
- 4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) diced carrots
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium or 3 small zucchini, diced
- 8 cups (2 L) no-added-salt or sodium-reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz./796 mL) no-added-salt tomatoes with juices, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (14 oz./398 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups (1 L) baby spinach
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tsp (20 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add carrots, celery, and zucchini; cook for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, parsley, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spinach and continue to cook, covered, another 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in food processor, mix together garnish ingredients until well blended. Set aside.
- Season soup with freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve garnished with 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 mL) basil mixture.
This soup provides the same flavours as a traditional minestrone soup containing pasta and beans, but without all the carbs. Any soup containing beans offers more fibre and protein; this one is also low in carbs, making it great for those meals where your carbohydrate totals are being met by other dishes.
Recipe curtesy of Rosie Schwartz.
Curried lentils & vegetables
A simple, yet richly flavoured dish. Enjoy on its own or over warm quinoa, brown rice or millet.See recipe About Curried lentils & vegetables
Salmon with lemon-ginger sauce
Lots of flavour is added to the salmon with this easy marinade. This dish is also great to cook on the barbecue!See recipe About Salmon with lemon-ginger sauce
Falafel burgers with creamy sesame sauce
A healthy and filling burger that's bound to please vegetarians and meat-eaters too.See recipe About Falafel burgers with creamy sesame sauce