Chicken and White Bean Stew
Cannellini beans add fibre and protein to this easy one-pot chicken stew.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 lb. (450 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pkg. (227 g) sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups (1 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (540 mL) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each cold water and cornstarch
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped kale
- ¼ cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
1. In Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook, stirring until browned, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer mixture to plate; set aside.
2. Add onion and carrots; cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, mushrooms, thyme and 2 tbsp (30 mL) water; cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are tender and no liquid remains, about 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken mixture to Dutch oven. Stir in beans and broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
4. In small bowl stir together water and cornstarch; stir into Dutch oven; add kale. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened, stirring constantly until kale is tender-crisp, or for about 3 to 5 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Wild rice & apple stuffed acorn squash
The sweetness of the apple here complements the delicate flavours of squash, celery and thyme.See recipe About Wild rice & apple stuffed acorn squash
Curried lentils & vegetables
A simple, yet richly flavoured dish. Enjoy on its own or over warm quinoa, brown rice or millet.See recipe About Curried lentils & vegetables
Moroccan eggplant & tomato
Loaded with flavour this dish can be served as a main or as a side - so versatile!See recipe About Moroccan eggplant & tomato