- 1 cup wheat berries
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups finely chopped apple, preferably Cortland or Jonagold (skin on)
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp apple juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp finely minced fresh ginger
- In glass or ceramic bowl, place wheat berries. Cover with 2 inches (5 cm) water and let sit overnight in refrigerator to soften. In morning, drain water. Place berries in small saucepan, add salt and 3 cups (750 mL) water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 45-55 minutes or until tender. Drain any excess water and place berries in large mixing bowl.
- Add celery, apples, mint and green onion and stir to combine.
- In small bowl, whisk canola oil, vinegar, apple juice, honey and ginger together. Pour over salad. Flavours improve if salad is refrigerated for up to 4 hours prior to serving.
Yield: 8 servings, Servings Size: 3/4 cup (175 mL).
Courtesy of canolainfo.org
Kale, beet & chickpea power bowls
Get energized with this power bowl! The dressing also makes for a great dip.See recipe About Kale, beet & chickpea power bowls
Japanese sesame slaw
This colourful salad offers tangy flavour and crunch, much lighter than a classic coleslaw.See recipe About Japanese sesame slaw
Greek lentil salad
A hearty salad bursting with flavour that has high fibre and a low glycemic index.See recipe About Greek lentil salad