Middle Eastern food has become extremely popular lately. Here is an Israeli specialty, similar to huevos rancheros, that makes eggs irresistible!
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced plum tomatoes (about 1 lb./500 g)
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add red pepper and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cumin; stir to mix.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Crack eggs onto mixture, spacing them evenly in the mixture, and continue to cook, covered, until eggs are set, or for about 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is an adaptation from chef Moshe Basson of Eucalyptus Restaurant in Jerusalem by Rosie Schwartz.