People with diabetes can expect to live active, independent and vital lives if they make a lifelong commitment to careful diabetes management.
Key elements in lifestyle management
- Education: Diabetes education is an important first step. All people with diabetes need to be informed about their condition.
- Physical activity: Regular physical activity helps your body lower blood glucose (sugar) levels, promotes weight loss, reduces stress and enhances overall fitness.
- Nutrition: What, when and how much you eat all play an important role in regulating blood sugar levels.
- Weight management: Maintaining a healthy weight is especially important in the management of type 2 diabetes.
- Medication: Type 1 diabetes is always treated with insulin. Type 2 diabetes is managed through physical activity and meal planning and may require medications and/or insulin to assist your body in controlling blood sugar more effectively.
- Stress management: Learning to reduce stress levels in day-to-day life can help people with diabetes better manage their condition.
- Blood pressure: High blood pressure can lead to eye disease, heart disease, stroke and kidney disease, so people with diabetes should try to maintain a blood pressure level below 130/80. To do this, you may need to change your eating and physical activity habits and/or take medication(s).
Techniques for self-care
Helpful suggestions on how to practice self-care with diabetes.
Diabetes deep dives
Looking for in-depth information on diabetes management? Our Deep Dives video series answers your need-to-know questions now.
Contact us for support
For more information, support and to help you find diabetes services in your area.
Managing your blood glucose
Learn more about using insulin to manage your blood glucose (sugar levels).Learn more About Managing your blood glucose
Healthy Living Resources
Taking care of your health should be your top priority. Find information about diet, nutrition, exercise and more!Read more About Healthy Living Resources
Regular physical activity also helps: prevent sugar from building up in your blood.Learn more About Physical Activity