This great whole wheat biscuit adds fibre, and is great served warm to accentuate their delicate texture
- 1½ cups (375 mL) whole wheat flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cold margarine or butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) skim milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Using a fork, quickly stir in milk.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface and knead for 6 to 8 strokes or just until dough holds together. Roll out to ¾ inch (2 cm) thick. Using a 2-inch (5 cm) round cookie cutter, cut into 12 circles (or use a knife to cut into 12 wedges or squares), re-rolling scraps, as necessary. Place at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on a prepared, lightly greased, baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly. Serve warm.
For herb biscuits: Add 1 tsp (5 mL) dried parsley, ¼ tsp (1 mL) dried basil and ¼ tsp (1 mL) dried thyme to the flour mixture. (This dough also makes great dumplings when spooned over simmering stew or soup.)
To boost fiber in other recipes, you can generally replace up to half the all-purpose flour in a recipe without affecting the results.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Canada’s Essential Diabetes Recipes, Sharon Zeiler, Robert Rose Inc., 2011, http://www.robertrose.ca
Enjoy this whole-wheat, baked version of a traditional Aboriginal recipe. Canola oil helps produce a light and tender crumb.See recipe About Blueberry bannock
Walnut and flax carrot cookies
Part cookie and part muffin, these soft cookies contain walnuts and ground flaxseed that provide fibre and, along with the canola oil, healthy fats.See recipe About Walnut and flax carrot cookies
Crustless apple & roasted fennel quiche
Fennel offers a sweet and mellow flavour that complements the apples beautifully in this easy breakfast or brunch dish.See recipe About Crustless apple & roasted fennel quiche