A flavourful vegetarian pâté!
- 1 cup (250 mL) raw unsalted almonds
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced button mushrooms
- 250 g (½ lb.) tempeh, fresh or thawed, cut into ½-inch/1 cm cubes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sodium-reduced tamari
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried sage
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh dill
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spread almonds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes or until soft. Add mushrooms, and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tempeh to the vegetable mixture, and stir to combine. Add tamari, thyme, sage, dill, and salt.
- Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. In a food processor, grind almonds. Add cooked mushroom mixture and process until pâté is thick and smooth. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with cut vegetables and whole-grain crackers.
Find tempeh in the fridge or freezer at the grocery store or health food store. Always check the expiry date on fresh tempeh and keep it refrigerated. Tempeh can be frozen for a maximum of 6 months.
Recipe courtesy of Nettie Cronish.
Whole wheat biscuits
This great whole wheat biscuit adds fibre, and is great served warm to accentuate their delicate texture. Add some herbs for a different flavour.See recipe About Whole wheat biscuits
Walnut & flax carrot cookies
Part cookie and part muffin, these soft cookies contain walnuts and ground flaxseed that provide fibre and, along with the canola oil, healthy fats.See recipe About Walnut & flax carrot cookies
Crustless apple & roasted fennel quiche
Fennel offers a sweet and mellow flavour that complements the apples beautifully in this easy breakfast or brunch dish.See recipe About Crustless apple & roasted fennel quiche