A charitable remainder trust is a way to make a secure future gift to Diabetes Canada while retaining the investment income from the gift during your lifetime.
If you have decided that you would like to give a substantial asset to support Diabetes Canada but need the income that the asset generates, a charitable remainder trust has many benefits.
- You can make a difference and have the satisfaction of making an investment in the important work of Diabetes Canada now, but still retain the income earned from your investment.
- You will receive a tax credit to use immediately, or carry forward for up to five years.
- Your gift now can reduce the amount of probate and other expenses to your estate.
How it works
- You make a gift to Diabetes Canada.
- You receive an immediate tax credit when the Trust is established based on your age and the amount you contribute to the Trust. The older you are, the higher the credit.
- The assets in the Trust generate revenue through professionally managed investment in publicly traded securities and mutual funds.
- During your lifetime, you continue to receive the annual income that is earned on the Trust. You will be responsible for any tax that is payable on this income.
- The original capital that you donate stays in the Trust for Diabetes Canada and cannot be used until you have passed away.
Please note: The information provided is general in nature and not intended to be a substitute for professional legal and/or financial planning advice. Diabetes Canada encourages all donors who are planning a significant gift to consult with their family and seek independent legal and/or financial planning advice.
Coordinator, Legal Affairs & Legacy Gifts
For more information on making a gift through a charitable remainder trust.
Through your Will
By taking a few simple steps today you can leave an incredible legacy for the future.Will & testament About Through your Will
Securities, stocks, bonds & mutual funds
Donating stocks, bonds, mutual funds or other securities can be a tax effective way to help.Tax effective giving About Securities, stocks, bonds & mutual funds
Charitable gift annuities
A charitable gift annuity is a way to make a gift and receive guaranteed income for life.Annuity giving About Charitable gift annuities